Sunday 10 January 2010

Featured and Challenged!

What an exciting week! I am currently the Featured Member on Burdastyle! Obviously I knew about it in advance, the questions didn’t answer themselves, but actually seeing my name on the homepage gave me a real thrill. I guess it’s because Burdastyle has been such a major influence in the role sewing has taken in altering my life over the last few years. When I was sitting at my desk in the last clothing company I worked in, ordering buttons from god-knows-where with a minimum of 10% excess to be delivered to some dodgy factory in Romania where they would produce the most disposable tatty garments to be sold in the UK for next to nothing, sneaking peeks at creations on Burdastyle gave me hope of a more positive alternative.

So, seeing as this week this blog is getting a little more exposure than usual (according to Google Analytics) now seems a good time to announce my new project. Largely inspired by the Makeshift project which I discussed here, and a desire to challenge myself by pushing my sewing skills up a notch AND to put my money where my mouth is about striving to be more self-sufficient, I have decided to wear only clothes that I have made myself throughout March. I’m not going as all-out hardcore as Natalie (Makeshift), I am making some exceptions: I will not be attempting to make my own bras, hosiery (love that word), socks or footwear. But a challenge it remains.

Obviously, my wardrobe has a fair few handmade garms in it already, but there are some garment requirements I will need to get made:
  • Pants. I think I'll need to get a minimum of three pairs made before March 1st.

  • Vest. I spend most of the year freezing, so I like to get my layer on!

  • Sleepwear. I already made one pair of Jane pyjamas, but I want to make something/s else so I can alternate.

  • Trousers. I have my jeggings, but to be honest my treggings are a little too tight. I'm going to need another pair of trousers for day wear.

  • Jacket and/or coat.

  • Cardigan. As I mentioned, I loves me some layers. This one is going to be a real challenge to make something halfway wearable.

  • Dress. My cousin is getting married in March so I've got to make something fancy. I'm really looking forward to this creation!

If there's time and fabric, I'll also attempt a skirt for day wear and a dressing gown. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions regarding this project, I would love to hear them! Has anyone tried anything similar?

8 comments:

Fawn and Flower said...

Congratulations! That's exciting. The only time I've ever seen my name on anything was a parking ticket.

Have you made bras before? I had this pants-making phase a few months ago and tried to make matching bras, but it was an absolute catastrophe/ looked like it was made by a drunk five-year-old.

Tuppence said...

Congrats on being featured on Burdastyle. I would also think it to be such a thrill! Hooray for you!

I have been living vicariously through those of you making your wardrobes for the year. I have been reading and learning so when I make my first go next year, I will have some lessons learned and experience under my belt. So, I for one really appreciate all your comments, suggestions, and input! Thank you!

Kat said...

Firstly, Congrats on being featured on Burdastyle. And secondly, wow what a great challenge for yourself! I can't wait to see how you go with it. There is a tutorial over on megannielsen.com to make a jersey wrap cardigan that looks really nice. You should give that a go.

Clare said...

Two very exciting pieces of news! Good luck with both. I'd love to try this, it would be a proper challenge to get me out of jeans outside work. You can always replace 'hosiery' with leggings you make yourself - very quick and easy, especially with an overlocker.

ShannonAshley said...

Ha! You say you aren't being hardcore...Um disagree?! That is such an AMAZING challenge and I wish you the BEST of luck with your daily-wear sewing! I shudder to think what would happen to my creations if I tried to put them through the everyday life...Scary. I'm not that meticulous in my sewing yet, still too impatient.

Congrats on being featured on Burda style. I would print out the page and frame it! But...I'm corny like that.

chrrristine said...

hey Zoe, cool, this is so exciting!
I smiled (a sad smile) about what you write about your last job, it reminded me a bit of my last job where I sometimes had to draw up masterplans for fancy hotel complexes (with incredible amounts of water features and, of course, within high fences) for UK investors to be built in impoverished african countries...
I look forward to seeing your project documented on your blog soon!

EmilyKate said...

Oh fab! I actually can't believe they haven't had you featured sooner what with all your fabulous creations! That is a really great pic that accompanied your interview btw :o)

Debi said...

I can't wait to see some your creations!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...