Wednesday 11 August 2010

The Great Wardrobe Cull of 2010

So, in the last post I left you with the difficult news that I had been forced to part with a fair chunk of my wardrobe (including some handmade items). Well now I must report that after writing that last post the packing clothes situation got significantly more brutal. BRUTAL I tell you! The discovery that the previous clothes culling had not been sufficient came at quite an advanced stage of the packing/moving process. In fact the knowledge that we literally would not be able to carry at the same time all we needed to take through France and UK came very late indeed, later than the final opportunity to give Correos (the post office) yet more of my holiday-cocktail fund to send some of it on ahead. Not wanting to burden our friends with the awkward and time consuming task of sending the excess stuff on our behalf (the pain we are inflicting by our relocation is probably tough enough!) the only option left was more possession-culling brutality. It’s not all bad, my mate Jen (the recipient of the majority of these belongings) doesn’t need to buy any clothes or shoes for at least six years now. Yay for reducing consumerism?!

I fear I am not being sufficiently explicit in my attempts to convey what has happened so in order to do so more fully, and indeed to help myself absorb the full extent of the situation, I have prepared some stats. Let’s look at the figures for couple of different garments groups:

Bottoms:

Last week I possessed: 1 pair of jeans, 4 pairs of trousers, 1 pair of Capri pants and 2 pairs of shorts.
Now: 2 pairs of shorts



Outerwear:

Last week I possessed: 2 coats, 4 jackets and 1 big woolly cardigan.
Now: 1 coat and 1 jacket



Sleepwear:

Last week I possessed: 18 items for all seasons (ok, I admit some thinning out in this area may have already been overdue!)
Now: 8 items.



Footwear:

Last week I possessed: loads
Now: not so many.



At risk of blinding you with all this science, I’ll conclude thus:



In a manner similar to an amputee who still ghost twinges in the missing limb, the reality hasn’t kicked in yet! However, I am not attempting to elicit any particular emotional response from you, dear readers (my capacity for self-pity should be sufficient), I am simply laying down some heavy facts which directly affect the major themes of this blog: consumption and sewing stuff.

14 comments:

Heidi said...

so sad indeed. Good luck with everything!

Claire (aka Seemane) said...

Boo-hoo :( re: bye-bye to much of your wardrobe... but a big yay re: thinking of all the opportunities to rebuild the self-stitched empire onec you're back in Blighty!!

Anonymous said...

I've been cleaning out and throwing away for 2 days now! It's so liberating! I now have a new work area (new blog post coming on that!), I can see the clothes in my closet (I can never complain again that I have NO clothes!) and I'm thrilled! Take a minute to grieve over the good stuff and think how much fun to start making new things in your new home!

Minnado said...

Wow - that is a major clear out. I am sure you will be making some great replacements once you are settled in your new home. Geekily, I love your pie charts. Happy travelling.

Camelia Crinoline said...

Sad. I love the pie charts however. You should look back at them when you feel sad because they show, statistically, that you are awesome at 'streamlining' (sounds like a magazine cliche but is slightly less depressing than culling) your wardrobe.

Tilly said...

Hehe love the pie charts! All the more reason to do lots of sewing when you get to Brighton... x

Darci said...

Let's look at the BRIGHT side of things, shall we?

You've still got clothes. You will not be nekked. And at any such time that you desire to make something for yourself in your new digs, you can.

See how that works? You can do this, babe. Heck, you already did the hard part, so revel in the fact that you've got a new chapter to begin, new clothes to create and new shoes to buy (if you need to).

It's a really good thing! Chin up!

Ruby Star said...

Zoe, it's going to be great. Think of how exciting it will be to pick out gorgeous new fabrics and remake some of your favourite garments.

Anonymous said...

You should work for the Office of Statistics. Or manage the swingometer at the next general election! Good work.

naughty little pony said...

How can you manage with only two pairs of shorts and no trousers? I hope I'm in the vicinity next time you do a cull! ;-)
Can't wait to see you soon!
xxx m

Corinna said...

I find such processes very liberating, but I must admit I've never had to be that brutal. Yes, brutal describes it well.

I am a little confused at the first section of clothing. My experience of the old country was FREEZING - for us Aussie backpackers anyway. 2 pairs of shorts and no trousers? I'm confused?? It could make for some interested outfits though! Hmmmm. The mind does stray. . . .

Carolyn said...

Woah, that is major! How are you going to get by with only two pairs of shorts and no jeans? I couldn't survive with out jeans...

Zoe said...

http://zoe-blog-zoe.blogspot.com/

Roobeedoo said...

You are coming to the UK with only 2 pairs of short, but no trousers? You will FREEZE girl! Hope you have a sewing machine waiting at Heathrow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...