Thursday 14 June 2012

Birdy Sleep Tops


This is a cleaning-house type post in which I share with you a couple of creations I made ages ago but all the MMMay'12 documentation kind of got in the way of. These are two jersey tops I made to sleep in during MMMay'12 and beyond. I already have a fair few items of self-made sleep wear, enough to scrape through a me-made/self-stitched month, but I thought some new ones (particularly ones with birds on them) would feel like a treat during the challenge!


Please don't ever make me decide which print design I like more: birds or anchors. I think it's currently 50/50, but on any given day that ratio can fluctuate. Needless to say both these bird prints are so far up my street I sometimes receive their Amazon deliveries by accident.


I got both the crow and rose fabric and the swallow and feather fabric from work, they were in a delivery which included sample fabric donated by a jersey manufacturer. These sample lengths were probably created to test the print and aren't actually of garment making quality (which is why I could snaffle them because we wouldn't be able to use them at work). The fabric is very soft so nice to sleep in, but the jersey has no stretch recovery: if you yank it, it remains warped and doesn't ping back like you'd expect jersey/knit fabric to. I know that repeatedly laundering these tops will see them become increasingly strangely shaped! But I figured I'd get a few months, maybe a year, of use from them before they become too ridiculous to wear anymore, even during the night time. And for that decent hit of bird print action, the hour or so it took to make them will have been time well spent.

4 comments:

Stacy @ Stacyverb said...

"so far up my street I sometimes receive their Amazon deliveries by accident"--hahaha! These look so cute and comfortable. I like the colors of the blackbird one, and the design of the feather one. :)

Anonymous said...

The one with the black birds and the roses ended up in topshop about 3 years ago. I bought an oversized crop top in that fabric, that was sooo big I ended up cutting it up and using it for the bodice and front underskirt of a clubbing outfit and the leftovers for a cushion.
It is gorgeous, the crop top was the only thing topshop made out of it to my knowledge. Even with not quite doing what its supposed to fabric,you are so lucky to get that!

Lenora Jane said...

Those prints are amazing!

Marie said...

When I started reading I was screaming in my head 'Zoe, why are you wasting such cool prints on sleepwear', but your explanation about the slightly lesser quality answered that question ;o) Still, nice to have such fancy sleepwear for a while!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...