Friday 11 January 2013

Refashion Friday: My Tattoo Applique Sweatshirt Remakes


Yes, it's more remade sweatshirts. That's what I'm showing you today. You may well be bored of my mens-to-womens sweatshirt remakes by now, but I'm a massive fan of these two because they have been keeping me toasty since I made them last year and because they have a personal dimension to their design. 


Created in the same manner as the remade lace yoke sweatshirt remake, lace stripes sweatshirt and the moustache appliqué jumper, both of these original garments I started with were deconstructed, recut, and then had their details applied before being stitched back together. Unlike my previous remade sweatshirt projects, these both have long sleeves. I much prefer to wear either of these on chilly days than the 3/4 length, 1/2 length or short puff sleeve versions I've made. 


You never can tell beforehand, but thankfully both of these have stood up well to laundering and the leather appliqués look fine. I really enjoyed machine appliqué, having to be super careful to stitch close to the edges. Any unpicking will show up previous puncture holes, so you kind of only get one shot. 

Before stitching, I stuck the leather shapes down with prit stick (normally I'd use copydex but I'd run out and it's really expensive!). I used my normal sewing machine foot when stitching them down, but I did squirt a little sewing machine lubrication spray (don't ask me why I had access to that... randomly the one I used smells of lemons!) which helped the machine foot move over the leather rather than sticking to it. 


So, aside from extreme comfort and obvious cuteness, why are these swallow and anchor appliqué sweatshirts my favourites? Because both where inspired by my wrist tattoos!

12 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

Perfect match!! It's such a neat idea for turning a ( boring ?!) sweatshirt into something personalised yet still casually cosy. Great tip on de-sticking your foot. I guess Teflon machine feet would also be ideal ( not that I've got one, but they are good for oilcloth aren't they)

Miriam said...

and why the wrist tattoos? Is there a story that goes with them? I am interested... or maybe I'm just nosey

Claire (aka Seemane) said...

Clever! Now that's what I call wardrobe coordination hun :)

Masustak eguzkitan said...

tattoos and garments coordination, super cute! I have never made an applique, I think I have to try it because it´s a gorgeous way to refashion stuff.

Unknown said...

Nice tatts love ;)
Px

Marie said...

Love the sweatshirts, love the tats!

Anonymous said...

Nice. Did you see what Rhonda did with a sweatshirt? Check it out @ Rhonda's Creative Life.

Sara said...

Lovely tattoos and amazing refashion! Can you maybe send me a template of the anchor and the swallows that you used? That would be awesome!

Helen Made said...

Great tats - love the sweatshirts too!

Tilly said...

WANT that swallow jumper! Too cute. xx

Anonymous said...

Great tops and beautiful tattoos!

Unknown said...

Love them and your sweatshirt remakes, I think they're a great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...