Monday 9 February 2015

Upcycling KCW: Results Are In...


Phew! What a fun week that was. As I mentioned previously, last week was the latest instalment of the Kid's Clothes Week sewing challenge: Upcycing edition. All participants had to do was sew clothes for kids from existing clothing for one hour per day for a week. Basically what I would do every week of my life, if all contributing factors permitted it. 

So here's what I made, two pairs of retro running shorts from a dude's T-shirt and a ruffle neck dress from a dude's shirt (probably not the same dude):


I had hoped to have made more things by the end of Sunday but two things prevented that: 1) we had the opportunity to have a little mini-break at the weekend, and putting sewing above a much-needed break would make me clinically mental, and 2) my sewing machine is playing up and I've finally accepted that it needs professional help. There's something up with the ratio of tension between the top and bobbin threads and there's nothing I can do to make it any better. The stitching looks fine from the right side, but inside the garments I've been making recently it looks loose and not very pretty. It's annoying me because I love to get a really clean finish on my projects, inside and out. So I dusted my hands off and called Friday my last sewing day. I don't feel like I cheated though because on some of the other days I sewed for more than an hour, and I did some prep the previous week, so I'm sure I completed the seven hours in total!

Even though I didn't finish as many projects as I'd planned to, this week has massively reignited my love of sewing kid's clothes from reclaimed adult's clothing and I plan to make it a more frequent part of my sewing activities. I love breathing new life in a discarded garment and giving it 'another chance'. Plus I would argue that it is a much more challenging (and therefore potentially rewarding) process than sewing something that started out life a flat piece of pure fabric, as much as I love that too. For example, cutting out the pieces is much more fun. Unlike many sewers, I actually really enjoy the cutting out part of making a garment, and figuring out how to cut the pieces from an existing garment is extra fun, IMO. Do you try to incorporate the original features/seams/etc. or avoid them? If you choose to include some of them, then which ones and how? What changes need to be made to the pattern or the original plan?

I'll be writing two separate blog posts about the projects pictured above that will publish over the next two (Refashion) Friday's. In fact, this whole challenge has made me want to bring Refashion Friday's back into my regular, if not weekly, blogging schedule. 

Did you either participate or in some way follow the recent KCW challenge? 

10 comments:

LLBB said...

Those shorts are so cute!
I don't love cutting out for 'regular' projects but cutting out for refashions is pretty fun. Like you say, it's cool to decide what stays and what gets cut out. It's usually a good puzzle for my brain!

Catherine said...

Cutest shorts ever!!!

Kathryn said...

I love what you've made! Did you use patterns for these? I couldn't take part this time as we were on holiday but I'm hoping I can take part in the spring one. Well done on getting in the hour a day, and I hope you enjoyed your weekend break!

Knitwitsowls said...

I love refashioning! And those running shorts are adorable ! X

tialys said...

I don't refashion much - yet - but I much prefer the cutting out process now that I do it with a rotary cutter as it's made me so much more accurate.

Marilla Walker said...

Loves me a good refashion! I'm making a shirt dress at the moment from some vintage fabric, but using an ill fitting denim shirt for the yoke, sleeves and front bib (it's a dress shirt). Re-using the button placket from the shirt as the front fastening makes me ridiculously happy and equals less work, yay!

Unknown said...

I agree refashioning rocks. Cheap too!

Evie said...

Oh, wow! Those shorts are the cutest ever!! Refashioning has never been much of my thing, but these may have changed my mind :)

charlotte said...

Your efforts look amazing. I took part and started following the blog from your link. I was really inspired by what I saw, along side my plans to sew for others this year. So I did my first very simple refashion of a hoody for my son.

Holli said...

I love your projects! Refashioning is my jam so I went all in this KCW. I agree, the puzzle of cutting everything and getting all the best (like button plackets and hems) makes me ridiculously happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...