Sunday 26 April 2015

Lightning Flash Raglan Sweatshirt


It's be great to watch how other participants of KCW (Kid's Clothes Week) have interpreted the 'Wild Things' theme. You can see their daily blog posts here which highlights some of the awesome creations hat have been rolling in to the project page of the community-only section of their site. From a 'claw-ripped' T-shirt, to a wild-flower adorned swimming costume and animal-print fabric galore, it's been a real feast of sewing inspiration. 


For this sweatshirt, I took the 'Wild Things' theme in a punk-rock direction. I've got the appliqué bug at the moment because I love how a simple addition and completely transform a basic garment. The lightning flash on leopard print reflects the crazier side of Dolores's nature.  


Pattern:

I know I've mentioned Ottobre magazines a squillion times before on this blog, but for kid's knit sewing patterns they really the shiz. The Spring 1/2014 edition is one of the ones that contains sooo many I want to try, including this Totem Owl raglan sleeve sweatshirt. I traced the smallest size (86), thinking it'll fit her during the Autumn/Winter, which I think is a fair estimate considering how it fits her at the moment. 


Taking into account that this version is currently too big for her, I found the fit of this pattern to be much baggier than I was hoping for. I thought this might be a staple sweatshirt pattern that I could use many times going forwards, but I don't this will be The One. The neck binding was also far too tight for the neck hole, and yes I have checked that I added the required seam allowance so I'm confident that it's not my fault on this occasion!  The neckline binding, waist binding and cuffs are meant to be cut from ribbing, but this double knit has a lot of width-ways stretch so I don't think the self-binding is to blame. 



Fabric:

I made this top pictured above over four years ago and have literally worn it to death. Holes had started to appear on the cuffs, side seams and at both elbows. Made from a super soft leopard print ponte double knit, I think it was such a successful garment because the T-shirt style was easy to wear and to layer, but felt much warmer than if it'd been made in jersey so was great throughout autumn, winter and spring. I wanted to squeeze any remaining life left into a new incarnation, and just about managed to cut the Totem Owl sweatshirt pieces whilst avoiding the worn out and thinning parts. The pattern unsurprisingly called for sweatshirt fabric, but I think this double knit will feel nicer and allow for more movement in such a small garment. 


The lightning flash appliqué was cut from a scrap of t-shirt jersey and satin-stitched round the edge using my sewing machine set to a zigzag stitch (width 4, length 0.2, I think). I secured the lightning flash in place with bondaweb and fused some interfacing around the area on the back. 

Thoughts:

As I say, I'm a little disappointed with this garment. The fit isn't what I was aiming for (but I doubt I'll be arsed to try tweaking the it) and the neckline is a bit too tight and gathered in by the band being too small. I don't have any more of the fabric so can't cut a new one, and it's just about ok for her to wear as is. I think I'll resume my hunt for the perfect sweatshirt pattern. Possibly I'll give Brindille and Twig's a try.


Having said that, this sweatshirt is getting a lot of love from friends who have seen the pic at the top of this post, and I do love how the appliqué has turned out, it really pops. I'll have to see if she seems to enjoy wearing it later in the year. Maybe the fit won't bother me by then. What do you think? Have you found time to be a great healer in such sewing-related circumstances?! 

13 comments:

Knitwitsowls said...

I think it's adorable! And I love the lightening bolt! X

Marilla Walker said...

If looks great! Time is an excellent healer, especially when everything else is in the wash!!!

Cherie said...

Cute sweatshirt, but oh how cute is Dolores? Look at those eyes!

Kathryn said...

Aw lovely photos, and a lovely jumper! I've had exactly the same problems with neckbands on the Recess Raglans I've made. They wouldn't even fit over his head so I had to do some unpicking and luckily had enough fabric to redo them. It's so frustrating though isn't it?!

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

I love the instant gratification of sewing for small people, but as I have none, I find it tricky to get the sizing right in their absence. But also I have found that sewing patterns for small people are about as weirdly proportioned as the grown up ones can often be, and my best makes have been copies of RTW, or self drafts. You could totally make your own sweatshirt pattern surely? Although I do realise that mental space and energy when sewing for an actual PRESENT small person is a different game than "aunty sewing"!

Knitlass said...

Love the fabric and that lightning bolt! Super...

And, just been over to ottobre to buy myself a wee subscription...

diario de naii said...

so cute your daughter! curious comment about the pattern, I've sewn a few times the totem owl but I have not noticed the narrow neck or the fit too baggy. For the neckline I usually cut a stripe measuring on the garment. http://diariodenaii.blogspot.com.es/2015/03/sudaderabebe.html?m=1 , http://diariodenaii.blogspot.com.es/2015/03/sudaderabebe_23.html?m=1

Anonymous said...

Dolores will be the coolest kid the the nursery rocking this top. I finished a toddler dress today with a dog theme just in time for the end of KCW.

Mother of Reinvention said...

How cool is Dolores in this sweatshirt. If Ziggy Stardust did childrenswear. ;) xx

JustSewJenna said...

Fab!! I love the lightening bolt. If you are really unhappy with the neckband could you take it off and replace it with a coordinating one?

Anonymous said...

Well, it's official: I covet a wee tot's wardrobe. I'm pretty sure I would wear everything you make for her! :)

I ALWAYS have that problem when I use self-fabric instead of ribbing. Now I just cut a longer band and sort of feel it out... I've gotten tired of unpicking neckbands!

adamz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
adamz said...

Prime trading company provides the most comfortable and best quality sweatshirt. PTC introduces new fashion and amazing design of sweatshirt in the market on regular basis
prime trading company is serving people with its outstanding stuff for more than two decades.
sweatshirt

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...